The City of Buckeye is in the first phase of developing a Department of Transportation. For the first position in the Department of Transportation, the City is seeking an individual that can envision the future, is creative in their response to transportation challenges, and can thrive in a fluid environment.
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by an employee in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional position-specific duties.
• Exhibits a service orientation toward customers and maintains productive working relationships.
• Assists in the development and implementation of the transportation capital improvement program.
• Plans, designs, and implements (following extensive community outreach) citywide neighborhood traffic calming and safe routes to schools programs and related construction projects.
• Confers with and advises general public, private developers, other City departments, and outside public agencies on all aspects related to transportation policies, planning, design, and operations within the City.
• Investigates traffic safety and congestion problems and develops possible solutions.
• Prepares staff reports and makes presentations to the City Council.
• Assists in preparing specifications, plans and work orders for various transportation engineering projects, including estimates for time and material costs for various construction/improvement projects.
• Assists in the preparation of grant applications and administration of grant funds.
• Represents the City on various technical committees of the Maricopa Association of Governments.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Focused Job Duties:
• Conducts and reviews traffic impact studies, site circulation studies, and parking studies for development projects.
• Reviews and assists in designing intersections, including traffic signal plans, traffic control plans, traffic signing and striping plans.
• Makes recommendations and prepares plans and related work orders for the installation, removal, and/or maintenance of signals, signage, striping, and other traffic flow pattern improvements and regulatory traffic control devices.
• Evaluates, investigates and responds to citizen requests and inquiries
• Uses various current technologies in computerized traffic signal coordination, timing and control software and hardware systems as well as video detection systems and advanced detection systems.
• Reviews construction, traffic control and work-area safety plans related to traffic/transportation and insures accuracy and conformance with standards.
• Reviews traffic collision reports, analyze high incident locations and prepares the traffic safety report and recommendations for traffic safety improvements.
As a City government, our focus is serving the citizens of Buckeye. We are committed to excellence in ensuring the safety of our community and promoting quality of life for our citizens. This is achieved through our talented workforce and we value employees as our greatest asset.